eNarada, Bengaluru, Sunday, April 15, 2018
In a shocking revelation, it is found that 90 per cent of the traffic police in Bengaluru are found to have poisonous Carbon Monoxide (CO) gas in their lungs!
Carbon monoxide is an odourless and colorless gas which can kill lives. It is found in fumes produced by burning fuel cars, trucks, stoves, lanterns, fireplaces and furnaces.
The shocking results of CO in lungs were found during a recent screening programme for traffic cops. Around 49 traffic people were screened, wherein 38 of them were tested positive for having dangerous levels of CO in their lungs. One of the main reasons for the excessive CO is due to the work requirement as cops need to be on the road braving, sun, dust, pollution and heat.
Dr. Sachin Sinha who conducted free ‘Screening and Awareness program’ said that the CO combines with haemoglobin to form Carboxy-hemoglobin which can lead to serious problems. The normal level of CO should be around 0-6 parts per million (ppm), while the dangerous levels start from 20 ppm and above. CO is a poisonous gas which leads to various health problems including headache, vomiting, chest pain, tiredness and loss of consciousness. The long term exposure leads to tuberculosis, blindness and even death.
Dr. Sachin Sinha said, “CO is the one of the major pollutant gases found in the environment. If the level of CO is increases in haemoglobin (blood), then automatically the level of oxygen concentration in blood will decrease, which causes cardio vascular related problems and anaemia. In fact, the CO problem is plaguing cops worldwide.”
The screening programme was jointly organized jointly by Narain Sewa Sansthan and Bengaluru Traffic Police at HAL police station recently.